Monday, February 28, 2011

Luke & Elmo


Luke absolutely loves Elmo! He watches with rapt attention whenever Elmo appears on "Sesame Street." So Grandma RoRo thought it would be a great idea to take Luke to Border's to see Elmo. Our nearest Border's store had sent an email advertising this fun event with Elmo and favors, etc. "Perfect!" I thought. So Luke, Butch and I went to the local Border's which was jammed with people because this is one of the stores that Border's is closing. Where was Elmo? He wasn't there! Was Luke upset? No! Was RoRo a bit perturbed? Yes! But, when I realized that he was just thrilled to see pictures of Elmo on the event poster that was still up at kid's eye level in the Children's Department, then all was okay. He promptly found a couple of buses to carry around, along with small books about specific vehicles and the books have wheels. Could I remove these from his arms? No! So, I led a "stuffed arms" little boy through the store to find a basket to carry our "treasures" in. Would he put his items in the basket? No! So, we looked around the children's area, found a few more Elmo items, and we went up to get in the long line to check out. Luke was having the best time carrying his two yellow buses and the books and was content to check everything out as the line slowly moved forward. People were enchanted with him because he was obviously so enjoying clutching his items and looking at the people and the other items within view. Fortunately, I was able to remove a price label from one bus in order for the cashier to use it to ring up both buses. Does every child need TWO small metal yellow buses? No! But, would you want to remove one from the clutches of a 22 month old in a crowded store? If so, you are braver than I. Luke possesses this high pitched scream capability that can shatter glass and can reach levels that can only be heard by passing planes. This tendency can be silenced by a pacifier. He was such a happy camper that even thinking about ONLY one bus just wasn't a possibility a grandmother would even consider. So, off we went to Claire's birthday party with our Elmo loot safely bagged for Luke's birthday and some later gifting. Oh, yes, only one yellow bus actually went home with Luke. I did a quick change between the other bus and a red truck Luke had in the car. Grandmothers weren't born yesterday or even the day before that! Fun day! Fun time! Happy little boy! P.S. You're wondering how we "lost" Grandpa Butch? He disappeared after handing Luke one stuffed animal to clutch and seeing how happy he was exploring everything. Hmmm!

3 comments:

  1. You scored some good Grandma points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma RoRo is soo smart. But what had happened to Elmo? Wish I could hug Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, huge grandma points since Luke was absent from almost all of Claire's birthday party which was a good thing in this event! Thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete