Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thoughts on Losing a Child

Last weekend a friend's daughter died. As I have shared this time of shock, pain, & sorrow with her, I've been overwhelmed with thoughts of our Claire. While we miss her every day, thoughts of Claire usually bring a smile to my face. She loved life so much and she celebrated each day. She loved her friends and loved her wild & crazy & memorable times with them. She loved her family - all of our "baggy relatives" as we call them. She was PRESENT all the time for all of us. She was sensitive & caring & funny & fun. We have videos of performances by Claire ("There's No Business Like Show Business" in Lawrence High's "Showtime") & of her special celebration on her 18th birthday - a trip to "The Strip," the place outside of our hometown in Texas where liquor was sold. When Claire died, we were surrounded by family & friends from near & far. The Memorial Bench that was given by her family & friends is located right by the Campanile at KU with the perfect bronze plaque & inscription. It is a place we always go to visit & take pictures when we're in Lawrence. Here's the youngest Claire & her brother Luke.  
Posted by Picasa
We can see the stadium where she cheered for all of those football games, the Gamma Phi Beta house, Potter's Lake, and be surrounded by the University that she loved. It's also just a few blocks from our home where Claire grew up. So, we celebrate Claire's love, her life & her legacy - 8 girls named after her. What a fantastic lady!!!

3 comments:

  1. I think you're amazing and I know that Claire was too. I'm sure you will be a great source of comfort to your friend. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting to know Claire from your stories.

    ReplyDelete