
Yesterday I attended a Memorial Service. It's always both comforting and inspiring to see how those who've lost a beloved family member are surrounded with love and care. What brings us there? Is it a family relationship? Is it a friend? Is it a professional colleague? Is it someone we particularly admired but did not know well? Is it someone close to a dear friend of ours? Regardless of the reason, we come to celebrate this person's life. We reach out to those who are grieving. We reflect on our experiences with the deceased and the memories that will stay with us. The words that are spoken and the hymns that we sing bring to mind memories of loved ones we've lost. We are surrounded by our thoughts and sometimes our pain, and we may experience again the poignancy of loss. But then I am comforted by the conviction that the world is always turning toward the sunrise, and I remember the joy of a life and relationship shared.
No comments:
Post a Comment