Sunday, March 14, 2010

What Brings Comfort & Happiness to Your Life?


Dr. Bruce Rabin, medical director of UPMC's Healthy Lifestyle Program, explains that when the brain is stressed, it scans its database for good memories on conditioned reflex. "The brain tends to function like a Pavlovian response," he says. "We look for things that have been pleasant in the past." I found this recently as I was trying to analyze why I do what I do for comfort when I feel unhappy or overwhelmed or short on cope or anxious. What do I do? I eat. Usually I'm able to find things I LOVE to eat and this is soothing and satisfying. Does it help my attempts at weight loss? Not one bit! But I feel oh-so-much better for the moment. But, I'm tired of carrying all of this extra "Rosemary" around. I'm tired of being overweight or le surpoids. (It almost sounds better in French.) So, how do I find substitutes that will be just as satisfying BUT much less fattening? That's what I'm exploring right now. Family? Friends? Relaxing in front of TV? Reading? Handwork of some sort. (I'm learning to knit, but my talented friends just smile benevolently at my efforts and murmur encouraging words.) Cooking? (*see the above mentioned "problem") The internet/email/facebook? Writing? More volunteering? Spending more kickback not "working" time with friends? What do you suggest?

1 comment:

  1. Awaiting your solution here in Boston. I find painting increases my appetite. Sitting and doing other crafts are sedentary and non-exerting. Get a dog hoho. You have to walk whether you want to or not :*) Swim w friends? Get a pedometer and fill it w a 1000 steps a day even if at home. Must try the latter. Wanna snack, walk? Walk away from the food!

    ReplyDelete