Friday, December 24, 2010

Gift Giving - "The Rose Approach"

Each year I squirrel away in the back of my closet items that I buy whenever I see the "perfect" gift for someone. Then, in early December, I bring out all of these goodies to see what all I have collected. There are always delightful "surprises" that I "disremembered," as one child used to say. Then, I take my list and match the gifts to the recipients. I think I must smile the whole time because I LOVE to give gifts. Whether the recipient is as thrilled as I am is to be hoped for, but it's not a necessity. My daughter & daughter-in-law are so helpful with suggestions for the grandkids. Susan sends an email with the actual links to each gift included. Talk about "easy shopping." Thanks, Susan! We draw names among the adults in our family, and it is expected that each person will send a list of assorted items he/she would like to have. It is nice to get something that you particularly wanted. So, we all open our gifts at various times around Christmas Day, and there are a lot of phone calls and smiles and celebration from receiver to giver. It's also a heartfelt pleasure to "gift" people with a donation made to various charities both local and international through a program so many churches have: "Alternative Christmas." All of us have so much that it's good to share with those who truly need the goods or the services. The announcements of those donations connect both of us with those receiving the gifts.

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea to have the gift accumulations in one place. I find mine often years later. Of course my favorite thing is gifts we make ourselves, but that is a losing proposition or position in these busy days :*))

    ReplyDelete