
One of the two eggs in the doves' nest hatched and the cutest little darker brown dove, about the size of a sparrow, would peek his/her head out next to Mom. Sometimes he was there by himself, but usually Mom was right beside him. I don't know about the other egg (Eric, son-in-law who teaches high school science, said it probably wasn't fertile), but I could only see this one baby. Mom was certainly faithful in her duties. It was fascinating that instinct kept her dedicated to the task at hand.
Yesterday afternoon when I took the 3 Tucker grandkids into our bedroom to see the baby, we evidently alarmed them both, and they flew off. We were shocked, but I was so pleased that the baby could fly and didn't just nosedive down to the patio. We went outside and checked all around the yard. Mom and Dad Dove were looking, too. We really checked everywhere. Finally, sadly, we all gave up.
Then this morning I looked out the window and spotted Mom & Dad on the fence in the side yard. I was pleased to see them together, and figured that the baby must be nearby. After telling Butch about seeing the pair, I checked back out the window and there was the baby with Mom & Dad. I was so excited and pleased that the baby had not been some cat's dinner/breakfast. I ran to get my camera and shot this photo through the window screen. Isn't "our" baby beautiful? Now I just hope that he/she grows up to be a big, beautiful dove.
Oh the baby dove is beautiful and it is hard to imagine another miracle came out of that egg. I am so glad the parents are devoted. Reading this was as harrowing as watching Bambi again last night!
ReplyDelete