Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Nesting Doves


While this is not a picture of the dove that is sitting in the nest that she and her "chunky monkey" mate built in a large basket of tuberous begonias that we have hanging right outside our bedroom window, it looks like a "twin" to "Mom." We check her out each time we walk through the bedroom, and we've tried to put food where she can get to it. (The bluejays were thrilled by that "easy" food resource, too.) The doves have been sitting on the nest for about 3 days now, so I figure that we've got 1 1/2 weeks to go. I so hope that the cats don't get the babies. These parents have chosen their spot well. I think it's one of the few places that the wandering neighborhood cats can't reach. Thank goodness for that! Our neighborhood cat population is down due to the coyotes, but there are still a few that are let out in the mornings to "cat around." When I went to take her picture through the window, I scared her off. So, I took out the small ladder and got an actual shot of the nest with the two beautiful eggs! I'll keep you posted on our brood.

1 comment:

  1. Ok now Rosemary. A ladder is a ladder. Poking the nose is going to get you into trouble... I hope not! I do love seeing the actual photo of the nest. You are truly blessed to have the birthing just outside your window. Have you named the "hospital?"

    ReplyDelete